• Jenni

This is Halloween?

As Christmas is right around the corner, I'm transitioning from Fall cards to holiday cards. This card seemed to fit that transition perfectly and allowed for a very nontraditional Christmas card.

I am a HUGE fan of The Nightmare Before Christmas and ever since I seen this stamp set from The Sassy Club, I have been waiting anxiously for the day it was restocked. When that day came, I snatched it up! 😂

Seeing as the images were provided in a way that allowed the face to be easily swapped out on the one character, I thought making an interactive card was a must. For that, I chose Lawn Fawn's reveal wheel die.

The most important part of this card was creating my own opening in the main panel of the reveal wheel and making sure the images all lined up.

In order to do that, I first started by stamping just the head part of the image onto a scrap of cardstock. Using my Scan 'N Cut, I cut inside the outline, creating the opening where the faces will show. Then I cut out the scalloped circle from the reveal wheel die to create a template.

I pierced a hole into the top of the scrap with the opening and used a brad to attach it to the scalloped circle. Then I spun it around the circle and traced the face opening four times as evenly spaced as I could.

I stamped the faces to get a feel for the placement and see how it looked, then I used a scrap of cardboard from a box of noodles to create a sturdier template.

Once the template was complete, I stamped two of each of the faces, alternating them around the circle, using black Versafine Claire ink and then heat embossed the images using clear embossing powder.

I cut out a mask using the scalloped circle, folded it in half twice, and cut it into four pieces. I sectioned off the two happy faces and colored the area with tattered rose distress oxide ink and then used hickory smoke oxide to color the sad faces. Then I used a barely damp cloth to wipe away any extra ink sitting on the embossed areas.

For the main panel, I stamped the character image and created a mask so that I could do some ink blending. I also used a circle punch to create a mask for the moon.

I chose distress inks in the colors squeezed lemonade, mustard seed, spiced marmalade, fired brick, seedless preserves, and black soot and blended them using foam blending tools.

I removed the mask and cut out the opening and then started to color in the image. I also stamped out and colored three of the other images from the set using Copic markers.

After I finished with the coloring, I cut out the main panel piece using the reveal wheel die and then used my Scan 'N Cut for the rest of the images. I used a Momento black marker to line the edges of the die cut images as well.

Then, I took the Tim Holtz Halloween dies from a couple years ago, which included a spooky fence, and cut those out of some black cardstock. To add a little dimension, I added some carved pumpkin distress oxide to the tops of the die cuts. I did the same thing for the ground which I cut out using Lawn Fawn's stitched hillside borders.

I placed the fence around the image on the main panel, but I didn't want the fence to overlap the image. So once I had the fence where I wanted it, I took the same mask I used before and laid it onto the fence, lined up with the character. Then I cut off all the parts that intersected and glued down the fence next to the character on each side.

Now for the part that really lets you know that this is a Christmas card! 😂 I took the Santa and reindeer silhouette stamp from Lawn Fawn's Winter Skies stamp set, and added it to the top of the card using Versafine ink. Voila! Christmas! 🎅🎄

I laid everything in place and glued it down using a Zig glue pen.

As for the sentiment, I haven't decided what I'm going to use yet, but I know there are a couple good ones in the Holidays are a Nightmare stamp set from Kindred Stamps. However, I think "We wish you a Scary Christmas" or "Very Scary Christmas" could work pretty good too! 😄

Holidays are a Nightmare - Kindred Stamps

For the final step, I assembled the wheel using the rest of the components from the die, a brad and foam tape. Then I layered the main panel onto a piece of teal and black cardstock and glued it onto an A2 sized card base.

I hope your holidays aren't a nightmare and you give this card a try!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

-Jenni :)

3 views0 comments